Monday, December 15, 2008

it's a marshmallow world in the winter

Yesterday I made homemade peppermint marshmallows. YUM, and FUN.


A pristine pan of uncut marshmallows... I thought I was pretty cool at this point.











And then... I attempted to swirl/marbleize red food coloring on the top (since they are peppermint-flavored.) Yeah, that didn't work... especially when I tried to go all crazy and fix it. It looked, in Eva's words, like "mangled face." Yum!











My FIRST attempt at swirling wasn't horrible, but not great either. I decided to nix it and go for the perfect pristine white and fluffy marshmallow.









It just required some extra cutting... seriously how pretty is a big block of marshmallow??












(It's this pretty, in case you were wondering. And super-soft and fun to play with. Yes, that means if you get handmade marshmallows from me, I probably played around with the large block a bit. And let a few cut blocks drop to the floor and bounce, they're so springy... what of it, what.)


I would like to have a bed made out of marshmallow.




Pretty, cut blocks... with a light dusting of powdered sugar to keep them from sticking together...
Sigh.
And now I forever have the "It's a Marshmallow World in the Winter" Christmas song in my head. Totally worth it.

8 comments:

Julia Harps said...

I am interested. DO they taste yummy? How hard are they to make? I've never heard of making marshmellows. Where do we learn how?

Laney said...

Who knew you could make homemade marshmallows? I thought they were made of high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oil and white dye #34 or something - definitely not stuff you could buy in the store. Very impressive.

dana said...

YUM. I've never been ambitious enough to make marshmallows. But they look tasty! Even the bloody red ones.

annie said...

I really wanted to try these this year, but now I'd just look like a copy cat! HA! I jokes. They look wonderful and I just might end up having to make some... maybe after the "no candy" ban is over. Great shots by the way... and always entertaining. :o)

Katie said...

Yum! Really, I didn't know you were so talented. Its amazing how well you can get to know someone when you start blog stalking them.

Very Festive....and I'm sure delicious.

The Dragonfly said...

You really are the most Martha Stewart friend I have. I'm sure you'll package them cleverly in something celophane and put a fantastic label on them and then I will hate you even more for your talent. (and by hate, you totally know I mean love)

A Little Sass said...

Seriously .. you kill me! You need your own TV show!

Diane said...

I seriously never knew you could make homemade marshmallows. I will probably never try it, but it looks fun!