Wednesday, October 15, 2008

when I run, I run for THE PEOPLE. And the Karate Kid.

Running 10 kilometers through Bakersfield on any given day? Hell.


Running a 10-kilometer race through a section of Bakersfield on site of a correctional facility neighboring a massive cow farm with massive cow smell and conquering obstacles of hurdles, mud pits, walls, rope crawls, trenches, log walks, ditches, hills, slides and 6-foot-deep water-filled ditches?


Puuuuure HEAVEN.

Volkslauf (pronounced fullxlauwf, rhymes with chokeswowf) is German for "The People's Run", but... call me a race-ist or whatever, but even though there are 2000 participants, I don't think "people" in general should be running anywhere near this thing. It's no walk in the park, unless your park is filled with Marine sergeants yelling at you to keep moving, loser, and requiring you to cartoon-run through a half-mile ditch of chest-deep freezing-cold twig-and-hay-filled muddy water. And that was just Obstacle #8 out of 29.




Not that I am some big racer myself. I don't really like running (booooring), so I wasn't In It To Win It-- really I just wanted to finish. And get all kinds of dirty, and laugh a whole lot. I sure didn't train for this--haven't really run since last December when I accidentally ran a half-marathon--so I'm just glad I was able to get over most of the walls and didn't die. So, I may not have finished in the top ten, or even the top 100 of female 10k-ers, per se, but... I DID finish in the top... 124! Hard-core!



(And I just barely missed finishing as number 125--whew-- but that's because I had the good sense to sprint ahead down the last descent and five yards to the finish alone, suddenly ditching my triathlon friend and running mate Eva who had held back the whole time so we could do the race together. I think she was okay with it, and of course very happy for me, in the end.)

And, well, they may not have given out any medals for 124th place (jerks), but I did NOT go home without a few mementos from the race! 27 mementos, to be exact. One for each of the 26 obstacles I completed (no way was I climbing that 20-foot slat wall), plus a bonus! I win!




Yep, those are all real bruises, and all from the Volkslauf. And all very, very pretty.
Am I delicate, or am I hard-core? You decide.

(for an even more graphic image, click to enlarge)

______________________________________________________

Some select photos...

THE TEAM
(pre-race stretches)

Jennie-San, Tank Top Dale, Extreme John, I-was-robbed-of-124th-place Eva






pre-race puking from the cow whiff:







and pre-race saluting the crane-raised ginormous flag




Remembering why we were there.

Because THIS IS AMERICA, people.

Remembering our freedom from the Germans and all that.
We were racing for Old Glory, for Betsy Ross, and for
the inmates of Lerdo Jail Facility, Bakersfield, CA.







THE RACE
_____________________________________________________

we went OVER things


(check out the sergeant shaking his fist at me!
He knew I was about to make a break for it and go around the wall, instead of over it, as soon as we helped Eva over.)


we went UNDER things









(under the cargo nets on the right, we were sprayed with hoses as we crawled through. Just like 'Nam.)

ACROSS

(here's where I got my sweet rope burn)


UP


DOWN


and THROUGH

(my cannonball into the last trench. You can just barely see my Ralph Macchio headband)


check out everyone's faces! Hah! Six-foot deep, final swim to the last hill. This is how Eva got her mud-goatee.

John demonstrating the true Volkslauf Ultimate Challenge. This is why we call him Extreme John. Also because, even with a hurt knee, he can still run a race 30 minutes faster than a perfectly-healthy sidekick . Puh. What's with that.


BEST FACE EVER
_____________________________________________________




THE FINISH
_______________________________________________

AND, FINALLY...

grapes soaked in the dirty mud from your hands? No worry.

dirty socks? Toss them in the "discard" pile as you ascend the final ramp.

the sweet reward of your disgusting self being hosed down by a fireman.
Ohhhh, yeah.





See you next year!









12 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

Sorry it took me so long to comment. I had to go change since I peed my pants from laughing so hard.

You are awesome and very, very hard core! I hope your bruises heal nicely so kids at school don't take you for a battered woman.

Megan said...

Sounds like a sa-weet time... down and dirty with Extreme John. *dreamy sigh* :)

annie said...

HAHA!! I had a sneak peek at these pics the other day!!! SO FUN!!! (well except for the bruises part- sheesh!!) You guys are sooooo hard core!! Love it!

Katie said...

Thanks for covering the race! The one picture from Eva's blog does not do this race justice. That was an amazing race!

Next year........I'm in.

Unknown said...

SOOO glad you posted this, now I don't have to blog for another 6 months!

Word to Volkslauf, next year I'm getting 123rd and you can't stop me JENNIE!

Selene said...

I laughed through this whole post. Cortis kept saying, "I have to work!" as I kept laughing and making him look.

I'm sorry. I have to vote for delicately hard core. You always bruise easily.

dana said...

where DID you get Daniel-san's head wrap?
I'm jealous.

Laney said...

Can I just say that I'm SO traumatized I didn't get to go. It was hard for me to even look at this post. So much fun. But I think you guys would have had a lot more fun if I was there, huh?

Diane said...

Wow. That looks like fun. Way to go!

Katie said...

Nothing to do with this post.......but since you're a teacher. Have you seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQs4-5crLKI

Yes on Proposition 8.

Katie said...

Yes! Its infuriating even for those of us that aren't teachers.

I'm glad you have your bumper sticker or sign (Eva told me) that says "THIS TEACHER IS VOTING YES ON PROP 8"

If you haven't made your donation to protectmarriage.com in retaliation against the CTA please do so! Its probably the best way at this point to retaliate their decision and put the $$$ back at them. Make sure to use the code CTA in the referral box so they know that its money specifically in opposition of the CTA's decision.

We all feel your pain and anger and I've come to learn that this isn't the only issue that they lovingly donate your dues to but that there are funds year round donated to politics and wierd stuff......Hey, I've got an idea......PAY YOUR TEACHERS! ....... keep up your good work Jenny, you're a saint!

Erica said...

You are one tough chick!