Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pepe Le Disgusting. Or, "How to Bag a Dead Skunk".


So, life being what it is, every now and then you're on your way out to the pool for a leisurely sunbathe, and a visiting friend tells you there's a dead rotting skunk on the side driveway. Par for the course.

And disgusting. 

But not something to be necessarily UNhappy about. A bickering pair of skunks moved into the crawl space under the house a couple of years ago, and I've been wishing I had the guts (and enough tomato juice on hand to fill a bath) to run them over with my car or death-clonk them with bricks, ever since. I like a skunk as much as the next person-- cute and furry and all-- but when they give the yard a daily spray for kicks or hang out by your car in the morning when you're late for work--? Not cool, skunks.

So-- dead skunk in the driveway? Win-win!  For one: That solved the lingering 24- hour skunk-stench mystery, and two: one skunk down, one to go.  Cause of death unknown, by the way... Coyote attack? Raccoon bar-type brawl? Tripped while being possum-chased? Gnawed its own leg off after a snake bite, trying to remove the poison? Because all of these Animal Friends live under or near the house as well, and an eventual territory war is inevitable. I myself engage in confrontation on the back porch now and then, usually in the form of hissing. The raccoon just looks at me like I'm stupid. (until I chuck a basketball at him, THEN he saunters off.)

simulation of my raccoon-hissing confrontation. pretty much the same form, just a different animal


Despite my cheers, though, there was the problem of actually REMOVING the dead skunk. This is the portion of this post that I like to call "Who Needs a Man?" or, more appropriately, "Forced to Become a She-Man". I'm pretty capable, but I don't always like that I have to be... whatever happened to getting to play the squealing female?

Anyhoo, I quickly figured out the best course of action and it included arming myself with disposable latex gloves and my trusty Karate-Kid bandana. A regular bandana might guard you from ordinary skunk offensive, but combined with decaying flesh, the Mr. Miyagi toss-off is key. 

Check out the harshly dramatic crime-scene lighting. Nature just knew. 
Some people might find dapple-lighting soothing, but after seeing 
an innocent skunk mauled (and overrun by flesh-eating insects), all of that changes.

I figured a metal snow shovel would be the best tool for scooping up the 
corpse in early stages of rigor mortis, and I wasn't wrong. 
Double-wrapped it in a couple of Heftys though, of course.

Had a little trouble scooping at first, it just kept sliding along the 
pavement (unlike snow). Plus I kinda wanted to puke, just a little bit. 
From laughing, that is. (I'm not THAT squeamish)

Finally, with the help of a big monkey wrench (kept outside in case I ever 
have the guts to chuck it at the local raccoon instead of a neon 
basketball), I was able to pooper-scooper it up onto the shovel.

From there, just pulled the Heftys back around the skunk, dropped the bundle into a 
third bag to create a Triple-Stink-Barrier, and voila! Pepe Le Trash.

Three walls of plastic aren't quite enough, though. Still stinky. 

If it didn't stink so much, I would have preferred to impale the body on a post in the front yard, as a sort of warning to the other skunks. Fortunately, though, olfactories force my humanity.

Bring it, skunks.

5 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

This might just be my favorite post ever! I am laughing so hard right now I can hardly type. You are a brave, brave woman when it comes to the animal world and I feel the need to bow down to you after this skunk incident. BRAVO!

Selene said...

I like your spiffy outfit for skunk removal. I felt like I was watching a movie.

jd said...

Yes... it WAS spiffy outfit. Like I said, on my way to the pool... After we were done, I realized it was unfortunate that all of you had to view me like that, and I briefly entertained the notion of a re-do, with me in a prom dress-- sooo much more appropriate. But the thought of un-bagging a skunk was just enough to override that course of action.

By the way, big props to my friend KJ, who suppressed all squeamishness (and olfactory sensitivity) to PHOTOGRAPH the whole thing-- and she did it commando! No bandana! (Sorry I didn't mention you until the credits, KJ!)

Erin said...

What's up with animals dying on the way to the pool? I was just re-telling the story this weekend of when I had to clean up the dead baby possum that was covered in thousands of ants. Gross! Next dead animal is Eva's job.

Laney said...

Wow, that is so nasty. I could have done without the photos of the dead skunk and been fine with just the photos of you with a shovel, nose cover, trash bag, etc. My imagination wouldn't have been quite so vivid.