Wednesday, March 18, 2009

see jane pose

In case you were wondering what the best-- in sooo many ways -- show on TV is right now, wonder no more!

Any of you seen "The Mentalist"? I turned it on initially because Simon Baker, the principal actor, is just delish. Didn't really care about the premise or the plot or the acting, just wanted to see his beautiful Australian sexy self... and was not, repeat not, disappointed.

Baker plays the title character of Patrick Jane, a "mentalist" (whatever that means-- I've seen portions of maybe 3 episodes now and I still don't quite get it) and goes around solving crimes and/or helping out the police/detective force and trying to figure out what happened to his own wife or something (I'm right here, Patrick), all the while looking beautiful and giving just the right hint of a smile even when everything looks grim.





And so far, I haven't really been able to follow along with the storylines, individual or overall. I think there's a premise/plot in there somewhere, as well as maybe some writing-- but mostly, the general script and direction seem to go something like this:


(Jane enters the room, strikes a casual pose leaning against
desk and flashing a smile)

PJ: "Sooo... what's the problem?"

(sidelong glance at the camera... "hey there, you..." sexy eyes)

shuffling of papers, secondary actors running around sharing vital
information as Jane listens attentively with sexy concerned look

PJ: "My extreme mental capabilities sense that something is wrong... "

(turn, pose, profile shot, brow slightly--sexily--furrowed)

PJ: "...but it's going to be okay soon."

(leaning forward intimately, reassuring warm smile, eyes crinkled,
soothing sexy voice)

(AND REPEAT)

And, well... that's basically it. It is so bad, it's GREAT. This week he went temporarily blind-- THAT was a tele-treasure!! The acting really is iffy, it's super-cheese and I truly am pretty positive Simon is directed to "just look pretty" and pose continually, no matter the shot (which is usually up-close on his gorgeous mug), but hey-- I ain't complaining. AND, somehow, this show is rated in the TOP TEN of new shows! (Good job, TV-viewing public -- I now have new hope for the future of America.)

Those directors and producers aren't fools. They know what the people want. Thank you, CBS!




5 comments:

Megan said...

Get it on DVD and you won't be disappointed...

He was one of those TV medium-types on TV whose family was murdered by a serial sicko he's now hunting. In the meantime, he's working with Lisbon and the team while not being on the team per se. Tall guy has a thing for red head, and you know Lisbon has the hots for Jane.

Such pretty, good TV.

jd said...

ohhh... I'm NOT disappointed, not at all. But I'm sure glad to have the background on his character now!

Lisbon, who? Tall guy, what? There are other people on this show? Background.

Laney said...

Hmm, yes, he is quite yummy in a very rugged way. However, I seem to remember seeing him in something in the past (maybe Devil Wears Prada) where his eyebrows were super bleached out and it really freaked me out and was all I could focus on.

Unknown said...

the best worst show ever. It's almost better if you watch it on mute.

dana said...

I love that you're a regular blogger now. yay! And yea, I thought that guy was great eye candy on Devil Wears Prada. Can a married woman admit that? I guess so.
Enjoy!