Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Russia's Got Talent


If we were still engaged in the Cold War, such tactical weapons as these would SURELY cause us to lose.

But I don't know... after watching this video clip, I'm thinking the Soviet Union wouldn't be/wasn't such a bad thing after all. It produced hardworking premature world-class gymnasts and acrobats and figure skaters, never mind that they were often forced into it against their will for the glory of Mother Russia, and they in turn grew up and wanted the SAME work ethic for THEIR children! Nothing wrong with that!

And think about all that special intelligence and science they have ... I don't know what's in the borscht over there (I really don't-- never ate it during my time in Mother Russia, was too busy trying to find yummy blinis with caviar), but there's got to be something fishy (not caviar) added to it to give these kids such FREAKISH strength. Steroids, I'm thinking? Kryptonite? Cold fusion? The Secret, in liquid form?

Watch, and learn. And I dare you to try and not have a "Whhaaaahh--?" look on your face as you do so.




SEE??? Phenomenal. My only criticism is that I would have preferred it performed to Scorpion's "Winds of Change."

So... watching this has kind of shaken up my identity. As much as I love other countries, I've always been grateful that I was born in America... but now I'm not so sure. Did I miss out on reaching my own full potential of being able to balance my body parallel to the ground on one hand while supporting an additional body weight on the edge of my calves at the ripe age of three? I'm thinking YES, and I'm a little pissed. "Land of Opportunity", whatever.  Big deal. That could have been MY proud mother watching in the wings, only slightly nervous that the KGB would rush us off if I dared falter on one of my moves. AND I could have had amazing cheekbones.

Dang.

(*oh hey! I just noticed! Upper left-hand corner of my blog banner... there I am, in 
Red Square, Moscow. It's like I just barely missed my destiny...)


3 comments:

Selene said...

I feel so embarrassed. I haven't forced my kids into any acrobatic wonders. Heidi can't even do a cartwheel. Where did I go so wrong?

annie said...

Holy Cow!! That was very impressive, but mostly disturbing that such young people obviously spend way too much of their childhood in dance and acrobatics. WOW! In other news, my two year old did a somersault!!

aaron&yuka said...

What's in the borshct? I think the question should rather be- What's in the breast milk over there! They would be Willy Wonka's dream children- they are not spoiled and can do acrobatics!!!! Then he could get rid of the ompa loompas.