Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm no Tyra Banks, but...

On this gorgeous stretch of raw coastline up the central coast of California, there's a disgusting infestation of elephant seals. At first they're kinda cute, little content smiles and furry pelts and all, and then you get a whiff of the smell (stench) and hear the braying of angry males, and the romance is just gone.




Fully entertaining to watch, though. Check out this dude trying soooo hard
to drag his gut up the beach--

Stacy and I had spring break the same week, so we spent a few days in the central coast area, visiting Solvang, San Luis Obispo and surrounding areas, including Hearst Castle in San Simeon. Near the castle is this beach, where a bajillion elephant seals congregate for some unknown reason (baffling to scientists, too) and about a gazillion tourists come to observe, standing behind a protective clothesline barrier. And take a bunch of photos of a bunch of fat seals.

I think I'm going to title this one "Friends Forever" and send it out as a greeting card to all of you, at least those of you who are my friends. Because nothing says friendship like lying there fat and happy in the sun, spooning face to foot. And smelling like elephant seal poo.


Or this one might be a better depiction (if I were to name the seals on the card), because some of you are kinda mouthy.

but now, the real purpose of this blog:

ELEPHANT SEAL POSE CONTEST 2009


Here I am doing my best impersonation of an elephant seal. Pretty spot-on, I'd say.




Here's Stacy being an excellent sport. I said, "Get down
on the ground and lie there like an elephant seal," and she did.
That's a great traveling buddy... and quite a good imitation of
those seals. Maaayyybe a little better than mine.




I think the big winner, though, is definitely this little seal here.
He did a freakishly accurate imitation of this beached tourist I photographed in
St. Maarten a few years ago:

I mean, WOW. UN - CANNY. How did he know??


But who am I to decide who wins?? Take my poll and vote for your favorite!
(If there was another poll to take, asking "who is more annoying, Tyra Banks or
an elephant seal", I would vote Tyra Banks, btw. Ugh.)

5 comments:

momhirt said...

this post left me absolutely speechless. you have such talent and such a photographic eye. amazing.

Unknown said...

I can't wait for my friendship email. If you add the line "send this to 5 people or you will have bad luck" and then tell stories about a friend's, uncle's, wife's, brother that didn't pass it on and lost his job the next day, I'll be sending it back to you five times... I don't want to lose my job.

Laney said...

I've been there and seen those stinky elephant seals! They were moulting when we were there though, which made them even more attractive. I must say, I voted Stacy FOR SURE.

stanky said...

The beached tourist even has a super fat belly- definitely voting for him!

stanky said...

AND HE'S NAKED! Holy cow-- just got that detail when I clicked on the photo for the big size. Sure am glad his bits are hidden by his fat belly.