Thursday, August 13, 2009

that's a whole lot of BSS

Sooo... I have a new respect for the President of our United States, and it comes from his presence here in India.

It's not just that most people (even in remote rural leprosy colonies) seem to know who he is, it's that he is a symbol for hope of ALL kinds, even when that hope extends to, say, using his face to sell difficult farm lots or solicit enrollment in a local computer college or to incite revolt against a conflicting political party because Obama=Change, everyone knows that.

Especially, though, it's because you see his face in full color on these advertisements, smiling and happy and pretty much telling you, "Hey-- you want change? Attend this computer college. I did, and look where I am now." HOPE for all ages.

The BSS Computer College is the most prevalent of all the Obama-ads I've seen, and though I've caught a peek a number of times, as well as had my own personal encounter with the real-live Obama in the past I've never been in a position to be quick enough to actually photograph one of the posters.

All I know is, it ain't no lie, dreams do come true where Obama is concerned. BSS dreams, obviously, in hoping that the mere presence of his face on their ad will inspire massive enrollment, and one of my own personal goals definitely came to fruition today, on the drive to Bhathalapuram when I finally snagged a photo of said ad. True, I had to suddenly yell "Obama!" the moment I glimpsed it and then force Kelsey and Kristin down and out of my way as I lept a whole 2 feet horizontally across the van to aim my lens out their window at a moving target, all within a 2.5-second window of time, but I know -- I KNOW -- it was my hope in Obama that gave me the strength to do it. Thanks, Barack! And I'll definitely attend your computer college, no probs.


Though, I must say... no disrespect to his handsome profile, of course... but those smiling mustachioed faces surrounding him are also pretty tempting prospects. I have no idea what they're advertising, but you can be sure I'm buying it. Or attending it. Or giving my firstborn to it, whatever.

I was slightly disheartened on the trip back from the colony, though, when we saw this competing ad for the Apollo computer course. Who does she think she is, this random young Indian girl?? She is no Michelle Obama, that's for sure. Poor poor Apollo Computer Education LTD. It's too bad they weren't able to sign on Barack before those sharks down at BSS got him. Or, er, used his image without permission.


But, really, who am I to say which is the better face of computer education (and change)? Take my poll (to the left) and tell me what you think. And then, as a thank you, please feel free to use my posted image of Pres. Obama for your OWN ads and posters, it's totally de rigeur and, naturally, makes so much sense in any venue or theme. Happy posting and polling!

No comments: