Sunday, February 21, 2010

sometimes I don't have my camera with me.

And that could potentially be tragic, because there are often exceptional moments in time which I would like to capture for all love and eternity, and not just in the recesses of my memory.

But... FORTUNATELY, I have entered the Modern World and have an iPhone. Which is of course superior to all other phones, in all aspects, including Camera capability. (maybe not really, but Apple will never sponsor my travel habits if I start bad-mouthing them now.)

So yesterday I was syncing my phone with my laptop (that's what we do, we iPhone/Powerbook owners) and it pulled off a multitude of random photos that I've taken in my first months of ownership. And so, since I obviously took them for good reasons, I figure they should not be hidden from the world any longer.

Welcome to an intimate look into my life.

__________________________________________

I get cold a lot. Especially in movie theaters, so I always bring a blanket. 
Also to the live theater... and I'm not sure why the silver-haired contingency of this audience 
(85% of it) looked at me strangely for that; aren't old people always cold?


First (of 6) viewing(s) of New Moon. At the EDWARDS theater, I might add. 
Coincidence? -No, DESTINY.


ABSOLUTE DISTRESS. I am going to be in INDIA when the next one comes out!! 
Fortunately I looked on the InterWeb and found out it will be showing on the Indian Subcontinent, 
I might have to take a plane to get to a decent theater though.


My good buddies Kris and Brian produced this little Fox. 
Like-father-like-son was classic, and OF COURSE, I didn't have my good camera 
available to really capture it. Grrr.


"Security" in Indian airports-- women go to one side, men to the other. 
Women go in a curtained area and get frisked by another woman. 
Men stand out in the open and get the wand. Awesome.


Already stated-- Etihad airlines is crappy. BUT-- on their individual screens, you get to (are forced to) see the take-off and landing view, live, from the cockpit... which is cool, but also SUPER creepy-- 
what if, as you're landing, you are watching as the plane suddenly starts to veer off to the left, and miss the strip entirely and you know that a crash is imminent??

...or land too fast and plow right into the dude just trying to help out by waving his direction lights? 
I think there's a clear reason why American carriers don't tout this little live-view trick: lawsuits.


This is a hideous picture of me (which is why it's staying small, no need to scare the kids)
but it's the only one I have of me on Arabian soil. Christmas day, 2009. Jared, thanks for
making sure I looked good when you took this. Harumph.


The Abu Dhabi airport. Cool.


The restrooms in the Abu Dhabi airport. 
Just inside the gender-appropriate entrance, you find yourself facing three 
ultimate destination options: toilets, an ablution area, and... a mosque.


I left my Christmas tree behind to go to India. So here was (part of) my Christmas: Chicago O'Hare airport, London Heathrow airport, and the Crowne Plaza in Rosemont, Illinois. Pretty great.


My brother Chad is hilarious. 
This was his Christmas gift to me, and I think he's right-- it would
be totally appropriate to wear this when it's my turn to conduct Relief Society.


This is what we of course DIDN'T do on New Year's Eve. 
Instead we went to an initially-horrifying-then-resolved-to-be-kinda-fun Mid Singles' 
dance in Huntington Beach. Probably the kind of thing that is less painful for those 
who ARE of the imbibing type.


Post-dance at the IHOP. Tired. Jazzed! Toasting in the New Year.



Pretty great (dreamy) mattress at a pretty schnazzy hotel in the HB. I took this picture 
so I could remember what kind of mattress it was, so I could go home and buy 
it since mine is crap and I sleep horribly. Then I found out it costs $5,000. Goodbye, sleep...


This photo is not from the 70's. 

(but it was from Leslie's awesome 40th bday Disco party, where I was crowned limbo queen...)



This lady must get cold in movies too, because I had just come out 
of one when I saw the Abominable Snow Beast in front of me, keeping her warm.


Dahi Puri or Pani Puri, found at the Samosa House in Culver City... 
YOU MUST GO THERE!


Donny Osmond sighting!!! Some small (but delicious) fast Mexican food chain,
"Bajio's", Provo, Utah, January 2010. I am complete.


Went on BYU campus to meet up with Jared and new fiancee Nancy,
and while waiting outside the Wilk, discovered that I am STILL popular on campus, 
even 10 years later. Totally ran into someone I knew! Or, actually, SHE saw ME, and 
called out "--DOEZIE!" I am soooo popular! I should probably go back to BYU.


Dang Utah Valley's beautiful. 


Me and KJ at Pee Wee Herman night, LA Live, downtown. 


Not one small chance that I'm going to see this movie (though I would
personally like both a hot tub and a time machine of my own), but Derek posed anyway. 


In the Vancouver airport, you are TOTALLY taken care of in the ladies' restrooms
(washrooms, if you're a Canuck) in event of an emergency. Coin-operated machines
offer Feminine needs, unmentionables, lip balm, and... TEMPORARY TATTOOS.

(Looney Tunes brand, at that.)

WHHAT???

and finally...


I pick window seats for a reason. SO THAT THERE IS A WINDOW TO LOOK OUT OF.  
I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone where the creepy kid, that everyone's scared will send them out into the cornfield, does his wordless voodoo and makes his uncle's face turn into smooth skin where once there had been a mouth. Silent screams.

.

Phew. Glad to get all that out into the open. What things do you see, that make you want to take a photo?






5 comments:

A Little Sass said...

LOVE! Buddy .. I just miss you. People don't really understand why you are so funny but I do! and I REALLY want an iPhone! REAL BAD!

Megan said...

I have to say that I totally live vicariously through you and your adventures since I don't even have a Target where I live. Thanks for making my life fun!

And, is that Brian Peterson? I swear we were in the same ward at BYU as freshmen...

Laney said...

Matt would pretend he didn't know me if I brought a blanket to the movie theater. Honestly. He'd sit like 5 rows away and ignore my calls of "Sweetie pie? Honey?"

Are you excited to see your boyfriend RP in "Remember Me"? I am on the fence on that one based on the previews.

And finally, I'm bitter that you were in Utah and didn't even text me a hello since we were on the same blessed soil of Zi-On. Now if I find your Eternal Companion, I'm not going to tell you about him.

Selene said...

Please, PLEASE, where the president sash while you are conducting. I need an actual photo to match my awesome mental picture.

PS My movie theatre blanket is my awesome new warm and wide scarf. Keeps whatever is cold, nice and toasty.

Diane said...

I love having a camera always handy. I get so many more pictures of the good food that I eat!